Life After Death
Begin by reading Ephesians 2:1-10 several times to help you Visualize and understand the overall context of the verses.
- Good works
Investigate (Ephesians 2:10)
- Who or what is God’s workmanship?
- Who are we created for?
- What are we created for?
- When did God plan our good works?
- How should we respond to His plan for us?
In Ephesians chapter 1, Paul helps us to realize who we are in Christ and what blessings we already receive. Now, in Ephesians 2 Paul begins by reminding us just how far we have come and how faith in Christ has changed us.
- Without Christ, we were dead in our sins; separated from God through spiritual death.
- As the spiritually “walking dead” we lived our lives according to the expectations and standards of society – a world that is ruled by satan.
- Because of our sin, God’s wrath was against us…But, God (Eph 2:4) poured out His grace and mercy and provided a way for us to be reconciled and made alive through His only son – Jesus Christ.
- When we receive His grace it is through faith alone (Eph 2:8) and not of our own work.
- Our spirit is made alive and we now have life after death.
Diving deeper, we find we were created for good works.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 ESV
But wait a minute – didn’t we just say it wasn’t by our own work that we obtained salvation?
Read James 2:17-26
- What do you think Scripture means when it says “faith without works is dead”?
- For what purpose does God give faith?
As we end this lesson, Paul concludes with the revelation of why we were created and what our response should be to God’s plan for us.
Jenifer challenges us to d.i.v.e deeper into Ephesians 2: 10 (NKJV). This is a great opportunity to practice verse mapping.
Share what you learned while investigating Ephesians 2: 10
This lesson was packed full with so much goodness it would be impossible to cover everything in one day. Because we are all at distinctive places in our lives, I’m sure we all received different WOW moments that impacted our heart.
For that reason, if we did not cover a verse or important point that spoke to you, please share what God taught you through this chapter in the comment section below. You never know when it’s the exact word someone else needs to hear.
- Share your WOW moment
Join the conversation below in the comment section