You know what’s scary? Being woke up by the sounds of creaking trees, fallen branches, and high winds as the remnants of a hurricane whip through the mountainside of age old trees.
You know what’s not scary? Being surrounded by the peace of God as the storm fills the dark morning.
As I checked outside each window, one by one, and watched leaning trees sway as the sun peaked over the ridge, I prayed. I prayed these trees, growing diagonally as their roots hold on to the side of the hill, would hold fast. I prayed the rain hadn’t washed away enough earth from their roots that they would no longer have a firm foundation.
While I prayed I realized I was more concerned about the effort it would take to clean up if trees fell on our property. And it certainly would be even more inconvenient if one fell on the house. Every fiber in my being would be so annoyed at having to deal with the clean up of such an event.
But I also realized I wasn’t afraid for myself. I had weathered storms before, both physically and spiritually. I know from personal experience God is faithful. He shows up in the storm. Period. Every. Single. Time.
Are you facing a storm today? Maybe a legit storm is raging outside your windows, or maybe inside your heart the circumstances of life are hard and you’ve cried a river of tears.
Here are 5 Scriptures for when you’re in the midst of a storm:
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3 ESV
- “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”” Isaiah 41:13 ESV
- “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” Isaiah 43:2 ESV
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 ESV
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”John 14:27 ESV
When you find yourself facing a storm, whether physically or spiritually, you can trust Christ is there in the midst of it with you, even if you don’t feel Him. He’s there—holding your hand, bringing peace to your heart, and listening to your cries.
Friend, no matter what you’re going through today, I love you and Jesus loves you. You will make it through this stormy time. You’ll be stronger at the end of this, but for now lean on the Lord and trust Him to guide you through it.
There are many more verses we could list for when we are facing life’s storms. What is your favorite verse? Share with me in the comments. Let’s make a long list of scripture we can turn to when we are facing life’s storms.